Insurance & Expenses

Student French Social Security

It concerns the government health insurance.

  • European students
     Students who belong to the European Economic Space (Germany, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Denmark, Spain, Estonia, Finland, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, The Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Czech Republic, Romania, United Kingdom, Slovakia, Slovenia, Sweden) can be exempted + Liechtenstein, Norway, Switzerland.

Therefore, you must provide, either you stay 3 months or more the European Card (Carte Européenne d’Assurance Maladie) which covers you for the entire length of your stay in France.

If this document is missing on the arrival at EMLYON Business School Saint-Etienne Campus, you will definitely have to sign up for the Sécurité Sociale Etudiante française. In this case, you will have to provide an Official Birth Certificate, with its French translation.

  • International students (coming from outside the European Union)

Stay less than 3 months
 You will have to be covered by a private insurance. An official document, including the detailed list of the following incurred risks: accident, medical care, hospitalisation, repatriation, third-party liability, attached with the official French translation, will have to be presented to the Registrar Office.

If the student is staying less than 3 months, no need to pay the Sécurité Sociale Etudiante française. 

- Stay more than 3 months
 You will have to sign up for the Sécurité Sociale Etudiante française, even if you have a personal insurance.

Specific cases: Andorra, Monaco, Québec.

Complementary health insurance

It is possible to sign up for a complementary health insurance through the LMDE or SMERRA centers. This insurance will allow you to get a better refund of expensive medical cares: dental care, specialists…

Third-party liability

It concerns insurance in case you cause damage to a third-party. If you are not insured against this risk in your own country, you could be insured upon arrival at emlyon business school through the AXA Insurance Company (10 € last year).

Student card

In order to obtain your Student Card, you must have validated your registration file. That means, your health insurance coverage must be paid and that all the documents required by the Registrar Office must be provided.
 This card cannot be delivered if one of these elements is missing.

Additional expenses

A minimum amount of nearly €800 per month is necessary to live in Saint-Etienne (rent, rental expenses, transport, food, house insurance…).

Bookmark Email Print